Volunteering in Siem Reap


Where can you stay?

There are many guest houses, hostels and hotels in the city. You can get a bed in a dormitory for $2 and a private room for $4.

Discounts for volunteers may be available as well as a free pick-up from the airport.

As for the budget accommodation, our previous volunteers recommend Siem Reap Hostel, Smiley Guest House, Happy Guest House, Cambodia Backpacker Guest House.

The nearest acommodation includes Siem Reap Hostel, Backpacker HostelMekong Boutique Hotel, Cambodia Packpacker Guest HouseRoyal Crown Hotel, Golden Temple Hotel, and Ta Prohm Hotel.

You can find more accommodation in Siem Reap at: www.booking.com; www.hostelworld.com; www.laterooms.com. LHA is located in Wat Damnak, so you may look for something within a walking distance from the Old Market and Pub Street.

If you are planning to stay for a longer time, you may consider renting an apartment:



Where can you eat?

In the Old Market, you can get a meal for as little as $1.50. Some of the better restaurants include Sugar Palm, Abacus, Mr. Grill, Australian BBQ, Soup 89, Silk Lounge, Viroth, and Touich.

What other Cambodian cities can you visit?

You can also visit the capital Phnom Penh (Royal Palace, Wat Phnom Temple, National Museum of Cambodia, and Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum) or rest on a beach in Sihanoukville.

What should you know about health?

About 90% of medicine sold at the local pharmacies is said to be fake. You can buy medicine at a Western pharmacy U-Care, which is next to the bookshop and Blue Pumpkin.

Healthcare at the local hospitals is very poor. If you have serious health problems, you can visit NAGA Healthcare International Medical Center located near the Central Market. A consultation with a doctor costs $20. Do not forget your travel insurance!

Please, discuss with your GP what vaccinations are needed for Cambodia. Normally you would need to be immunized for Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and Tetanus-Diphtheria. If in your childhood you were not immunised for Polio, then you will need to do so. Depending on your work and location, you may also be advised to get vaccinations for Hepatitis B and Japanese Encephalitis. Please, bear in mind that it takes a while for vaccinations to become effective, therefore plan you visit at a GP much in advance.

What should you know about visas?

Visas can be obtained through embassies or on arrival. Tourist visa is valid for up to 30 days. If you are planning to stay in Cambodia for longer, you should apply for a business visa. It is again valid for up to 30 days, but can be extended for up to one year. The extension can be arranged through local travel agencies.

What should you know about climate?

September and October are the months when it rains most. The coolest months are December and January and the hottest month is April. The avarage temperatures for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap can be found here.

Where can you use the Internet?

The wireless Internet connection is available at LHA office, Blue Pumpkin, KFC, and Pub Street. There are also a number of Internet cafes near by.

What language is spoken in Cambodia?

The local language is Khmer. Many people speak at least some English, so it is quite easy to get around.

What currency is used?

The local currency is Cambodian riel. The U.S. dollars are also accepted. 1 USD is equal to 4,000 riel. The ATMs are widely available.